VeraCrypt is a powerful freeware utility for encrypting files, folders and entire drives on your PC. VeraCrypt is a fork of the discontinued TrueCrypt software.
Unlike its predecessor, VeraCrypt has had its encryption algorithm changed from RIPEMD-160 to SHA-512 and SHA-256; the number of iterations for generating the key has been increased; certain issues detected in the TrueCrypt source code have been fixed. However, VeraCrypt remains compatible with TrueCrypt and has some tools for converting TrueCrypt volumes into the VeraCrypt format.
- Ability to create encrypted volumes with data.
- Ability to hide encrypted volumes.
- Use of reliable encryption algorithms, such as Twofish, Serpent and AES.
- Combinations of supported algorithms — Serpent-AES, AES-Twofish-Serpent, AES-Twofish, Twofish-Serpent and Serpent-Twofish-AES.
- Cryptographic hash functions SHA-256, SHA-512, Whirlpool.
- Step-by-step wizard for managing volumes.
- Completely free, open-source software.
- Remove GOST89 encryption algorithm.
- Make PBKDF2 and HMAC code clearer and easier to analyze.
- Add test vectors for Kuznyechik.
- Update documentation to warn about risks of using command line switch ”tokenpin”.
- Use SSE2 optimized Serpent algorithm implementation from Botan project (2.5 times faster on 64-bit platforms).
- Use libzip library for handling zip Rescue Disk file instead of vulnerable XUnzip library.
- Support EFI system encryption for 32-bit Windows.
- Perform shutdown instead of reboot during Pre-Test of EFI system encryption to detect incompatible motherboards.
- Minor GUI and translations fixes.