ABBYY Lingvo is a set of online dictionaries. This tool helps not only to translate foreign words, but also reveal every subtlety in their meaning.
ABBYY Lingvo can be used to translate foreign words and expressions. On top of that, the program helps expand your vocabulary and learn the correct pronunciation and appropriate usage of various expressions.
Key features of ABBYY Lingvo
- Translation of words and expressions from 19 languages to Russian and back.
- No need to return to the main window to translate a different word.
- User-friendly search bar with autofill.
- Translates words and suggests synonyms and antonyms.
- Explanation of the meaning of particular idioms and expressions.
- The option to choose the best translation among the suggested examples of the usage of the word from the lexical, phraseological and slang dictionaries and phrasebooks.
- Specialist dictionaries.
- Search across article titles, translations, comments to get comprehensive information about the word.
- Ability to find the exact translation of specific terms in specialist dictionaries (law, economics, medicine, architecture and other areas).
- Access to an online translation database (subject to the availability of an Internet connection).
- Ability to hover your mouse over a word on a website, image, in an email, subtitles or a PDF file to get an instant translation.
- Ability to create a flash card with the currently translated word by copying it from the translation window to the tool for memorizing words.
- View the transcription of an unknown word.
- Listen to the pronunciation (recorded by native speakers).
- A special tool with exercises to help memorize the meaning and spelling of words and learn to pronounce them.
- Customized schedule of exercises.
- Grammar lessons from Oxford with exercises, relevant grammar references and the ability to check your answers.
- The option to create your own training dictionaries for learning (to further strengthen your knowledge) and work (to maintain the consistency of terms when translating field-specific or corporate documents).
Changes in recent version