avast! Free Antivirus represents the best antivirus protection available and is available free of charge for non-commercial, home use. It is designed to protect your valuable data and programs, as well as keep itself up-to-date. It also comes with the kind of built-in features that many vendors charge for additionally, or don't include at all such as anti-spyware, anti-rootkit and strong self-protection.
avast! Free Antivirus is aimed at preventing several types of computer threats, including those that are not technically computer viruses such as spyware and even rogue anti-spyware, and can also make a virus Recovery DataBase which is used to recover files when they are infected.
- Antivirus and anti-spyware engine. State of the art scanning engine provides reliable protection against viruses, spyware and other forms of malicious software.
- Real time anti-rootkit protection. Unique "on access" technology checks all kernel-mode drivers that the operating system is loading for signs of rootkit behavior.
- Heuristics engine. The heuristics engine is able to cover both binary (executable) and script malware.
- Boot-time scanner. Command-line scanner. Wake-up for scan. Scheduled scanning.
- Behavior Shield. Monitors activity on your computer using a number of sensors (file system, registry and network based) and reports/blocks any suspicious behavior.
- Mail Shield. Scans all incoming/outgoing e-mails for malware.
- Web Shield. Web Shield is a unique feature of avast! that enables it to monitor and filter all HTTP traffic coming from the Web sites on the Internet.
- P2P Shield. Checks files downloaded using P2P programs.
- Strong self-protection. To help keep your protection working, avast! has best-in-class strong self-protection built in.
- Resident protection. avast! Free Antivirus contains resident protection of the computer file system and a resident module for e-mails and news.
- Smart virus definition updates. Incremental updating system minimizes the size of regular update files.
30 days trial period. After the trial period you need to register.