Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.
Avidemux is capable of non-linear video editing, applying visual effects (filters) to video, and transcoding video into various formats. Some of the filters were ported from MPlayer and Avisynth. Avidemux can also insert audio streams into a video file or extract audio streams from video files.
Features of Avidemux:
- Avidemux is capable of non-linear video editing.
- Advanced options, including generic decoder and post-processing tools.
- User-defined filters, GlyphSet adjustments, and more features.
- Avidemux supports various subtitle formats, including SUB, SSA, ASS and SRT.
- Can also be run from the command line.
- Native support for OGM, MP4 and Matroska files.
Changes in recent version
- New Feature:Detect and warn when cut points in HEVC video streams may result in grave playback issues despite being on keyframes
- New Video Decoder:Add libaom-based AV1 decoder
- New Video Encoder:Add libvpx-based VP9 encoder
- New Video Filter:Add hardware accelerated deinterlacer and resizer based on VA-API (Linux only)
- FFmpeg:Update to the 4.2.3 release
- Core:Increase maximum supported resolution to 4096x4096
- Core:Fix crash on macOS with HW accel. decoding enabled and H.264 video streams containing both frame- and field-encoded slices
- Encoder:Extend configuration options for NVENC-based H.264 and HEVC encoders, add 2-pass mode
- Demuxer:Support MPEG-TS files with duration in excess of 13:15:36
- Demuxer:Use DTS core from DTS XLL audio in MPEG-TS files instead of rejecting the track
- Demuxer:Fix mono MP3 audio tracks in MP4 files misdetected as stereo
- Demuxer:Try to correct timestamp jitter in MP4 files produced by older Avidemux versions
- Muxer:Fix timestamp rounding which caused pseudo-VFR output from CFR sources
- Muxer:Fix saving to network shares on Windows using the Mp4 muxer when index should be moved to the start of the file
- Muxer:Support LPCM audio in the Mp4 muxer by silently switching to the MOV muxing mode
- Muxer:Add support for Vorbis audio to the Mp4 muxer
- Filter:Fix "Fade" and "Fade to black", broken on macOS
- Filter:Allow to toggle rubber band visibility in "Crop" and "Blacken Borders" video filters
- Filter:Fix keyboard input in "Resize" video filter by recalculating values only on moving focus to another field or on accepting dialog
- Audio:Add HE-AAC and HE-AACv2 profiles to the FDK AAC encoder plugin
- Audio:Support external audio tracks in DTS format
- UI:Fix navigation slider with RTL locales
- UI:Restore the shutdown option in encoding dialog on Windows
- Scripting:Add PTS query and keyframe seek methods to Python interface
- Miscellaneous:Allow user-defined fragment size for auto-append of chunked MPEG-TS files
- Miscellaneous:Improve handling of field-encoded video streams throughout the chain
- Miscellaneous:Improve handling of H.264 video streams with parameter sets changing on the fly
- Miscellaneous:Try to keep track of video time base throughout the chain
- Miscellaneous:Numerous other fixes and polish