AxCrypt is an open source utility program that helps to protect user data and passwords by encrypting them. The software is distributed for free but with limited functionality. Advanced options become available only after you buy the Premium subscription.
AxCrypt combines encrypter and encrypted files manager in itself. The first one uses the cryptographic algorithm AES-128 (AES-256 is available in the Premium version). All you need to protect your documents is to create an AxCrypt account and enter your own password. Further file managing process is carried out with the help of the in-built manager or using appropriate commands in the Windows context menu.
The program supports the popular cloud storages and, in the first place, it checks which of them are already installed on your computer. After that it creates protected folders there. Along with that, cloud services control remains as usual. The AxCrypt’s interface is user-friendly. Automatic decoding and file opening is made by double clicking. The only inconvenience in the design is the unusual font that is hard to read.
- Free of charge.
- Open source software.
- AES encryption algorithm as the basis.
- User-friendly interface.
- Quick and convenient file management by few mouse clicks.
- Control is possible using the context menu.
- Good product support by the community.
- Standalone version is available that does not require installation.
- Supports files more than 4 gigabytes in size.
- Despite files are protected with the help of the cryptographic methods, hackers can simply delete them if they get access to your PC, and thus, still do harm to you.
- Illegible font that is used in the program’s design.
- It is necessary to enter your personal data, email in particular.
AxCrypt works correctly and manages tasks rather quickly even in case of big files. Unquestionable advantage of the program is its GNU GPL distribution license, open source code that can be changed and improved by independent developers.
- Encrypt extra files in the work folder when cleaning it.
- Let deleted “My AxCrypt” folders stay deleted.
- Removed file is not removed from recent files view automatically, and can’t be removed manually.
- Upgrade to 256-bit from 128-bit encryption.
- Add structural integrity check of encrypted file.
- When inactivity signout is disabled, also disable sleep and screen saver sign out.
- Add ‘verify file’ function which will not try to decrypt the file, but only verify the HMAC.
- No file name shown in error message when encrypting pending files.
- Rename to original causes ArgumentNullException.
- Password reset should add email=user-email to URL.
- Do not encrypt “hidden” or “system” files.
- Update subscription status when clicking “Try Premium” etc.
- Not all available private keys tried when decrypting shared files.
- Enable Trial mode immediately.
- UserKeyPair comparison returns equal when not, sometimes.
- Getting a public key may not get the most recent valid key.
- App cache performance is improved.
- API Key support.
- Translations and texts maintenance.
- Code Maintenance [axcrypt-net].