AxCrypt is an open source utility program that helps to protect user data and passwords by encrypting them. The software is distributed for free but with limited functionality. Advanced options become available only after you buy the Premium subscription.
AxCrypt combines encrypter and encrypted files manager in itself. The first one uses the cryptographic algorithm AES-128 (AES-256 is available in the Premium version). All you need to protect your documents is to create an AxCrypt account and enter your own password. Further file managing process is carried out with the help of the in-built manager or using appropriate commands in the Windows context menu.
The program supports the popular cloud storages and, in the first place, it checks which of them are already installed on your computer. After that it creates protected folders there. Along with that, cloud services control remains as usual. The AxCrypt’s interface is user-friendly. Automatic decoding and file opening is made by double clicking. The only inconvenience in the design is the unusual font that is hard to read.
- Free of charge.
- Open source software.
- AES encryption algorithm as the basis.
- User-friendly interface.
- Quick and convenient file management by few mouse clicks.
- Control is possible using the context menu.
- Good product support by the community.
- Standalone version is available that does not require installation.
- Supports files more than 4 gigabytes in size.
- Despite files are protected with the help of the cryptographic methods, hackers can simply delete them if they get access to your PC, and thus, still do harm to you.
- Illegible font that is used in the program’s design.
- It is necessary to enter your personal data, email in particular.
AxCrypt works correctly and manages tasks rather quickly even in case of big files. Unquestionable advantage of the program is its GNU GPL distribution license, open source code that can be changed and improved by independent developers.
- Invitation dialog.
- Remove from Recent Files list options are enabled when file is open and decrypted.
- Add possibility to remove key sharing recipients from the list of known recipients.
- Drag and dropped files to recent files do not display decrypted file name.
- Info dialog about opening without asking is displayed even when asking for file password.
- Update copyright year in about.
- Max button size is too small.
- Enable ‘Change Password’ even when signed out.
- Desktop notification when a lengthy operation has completed.
- Warning popup when skipping ignored files.
- Enable open file while logged out.
- Update Code Signing certificate.
- When inviting users, allow the inviter to select recipient language.
- When inviting a user, a free-text-field should be included for a personal message.
- Help button missing in initial information signup dialog.
- Password reset disabled after local reset.
- Should hide/remove the share key icon after encrypting a file in the recent files tab.
- Key share icon should display in recent files tab once key share the file.
- Get premium/Try premium text should be translated when changing the languages.
- ArgumentOutOfRangeException when using close(x) icon to close the app startup alert popups.
- Do not allow the user to exit the AxCrypt app when encrypted files are pending.
- Error message should be displayed when the entered activation code is wrong.
- Translations and texts maintenance.