Bluefish fills the niche market between the plain text editors and the full swing IDE: Bluefish is relatively lightweight and easy to learn, while still providing many features of an integrated development environment to support both programming and the development of websites.
- Bluefish tries to be lean and clean, as far as possible given it is a GUI editor.
- Bluefish starts really quick and loads hundreds of files within seconds.
- Multiple document interface, easily opens 500+ documents.
- Project support, enables you to work efficiently on multiple projects, and automatically restores settings for each project.
- Multi-threaded support for remote files using gvfs.
- Very powerful search and replace, allowing regular expressions and sub-pattern replacing.
- Snippets sidebar - specify custom dialogs, search and replace patterns or insert patterns and bind them to a shortkut key combination of your liking to speed up your development process.
- Unlimited undo/redo functionality
- In-line spell checker which is programing language aware..
- Auto-recovery of changes in modified documents after a crash, kill or shutdown.
- Character map of all unicode characters.
- Many tools such as tabs to spaces, join lines, lines to columns, strip whitespace, etc.