Calibre is free and open source e-book computer software that organizes, saves and manages e-books, supporting a variety of formats. The application includes library management, format conversion, news feeds to ebook conversion as well as e-book reader sync features.
Calibre supports many file formats and reading devices. Most of these e-book formats can be edited, for example, by changing the font or the font size and by adding an auto-generated table of contents. Conversion and editing is only possible after digital rights management restrictions have been removed from commercially purchased e-book files. calibre does not natively support this removal, but the capability can be added to the program by installing freely available plug-ins.
Features of Calibre:
- Calibre can sort the books in your library by: Title, Author, Date added, Date published, Size, Rating, Series, etc.
- Export arbitrary subsets of your collection to your hard disk arranged in a fully customizable folder structure.
- Calibre can convert from a huge number of formats to a huge number of formats. It supports all the major e-book formats.
- Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ.
- Output Formats: AZW3, EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, HTMLZ, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ.
- Calibre has a modular device driver design that makes adding support for different e-reader devices easy.
- Calibre can automatically fetch news from websites or RSS feeds, format the news into a ebook and upload to a connected device.
- An inbuilt viewer that can display LRF format files, so you can look over a recent conversion before uploading to the reader.
Changes in recent version
E-book viewer: Image popup: Allow dragging with the mouse to pan the image.
Sort button: Allow selecting which columns are in the popup sort menu.
E-book viewer: When suggesting a default bookmark title, use the name of the current chapter.
E-book viewer: When searching the Table of Contents allow holding the Shift key to search backwards.
E-book viewer: Add a shortcut Ctrl+0 to restore default font size.
Windows MTP driver: Rewrite parts of the driver in the hope of fixing some rare and hard to reproduce crashes.
Windows MTP driver: Set modified and created times when putting files/folders on device. Also read modified time correctly.
Windows: E-book viewer: Fix switching away from viewer while in full screen and switching back causing some corruption until the page is scrolled.
Fix a regression in the previous release that caused errors when editing empty date values
Get books: Update Gutenberg plugin for website changes
E-book viewer: The quick highlight button should replace the style of an existing highlight, when one is selected.
Elide long items in the middle when showing the completion popup for tags, to make it easier to use with hierarchical tags.
E-book viewer: Read aloud: Fix soft hyphens causing read aloud words to be broken up
E-book viewer: Right clicking when text is selected should extend the selection instead of doing nothing.
Fix settings in the ToC Editor tool being forgotten when calibre is closed.
DOCX Output: Fix conversion failing if the input document has missing images.
Content server viewer: Fix mouse wheel scrolling not working on the box used to edit notes for highlights.
E-book viewer: Fix read aloud word tracking in flow mode not very reliable.
E-book viewer: Fix navigation shortcuts not working in Read aloud mode.
Improved news sources: Barrons, Krebs On Security.