KeePass Professional is a free password manager allowing you to store encrypted username, passwords and other sensitive data. They all get protected with a single master password and/or a key file, which makes it significantly easier to operate a large number of accounts from different websites and other services requiring authentication.
The password databases created with KeePass Professional are encrypted with the most secure protection algorithms available today, which reliably keep that data away from strangers. Also, the program has a user-friendly interface and lots of other useful tools for managing passwords.
Key features of KeePass Professional:
- Support for AES/Rijndael encryption algorithms (using such plug-ins as Twofish, Serpent, GOST, etc.).
- Ability to compress the database into a GZip file.
- Full Unicode support.
- Ability to use any file as a key.
- Built-in secure password generator.
- Ability to group the stored information by categories in a tree.
- Transfer of data from KeePass to other programs.
- Support for third-party plug-ins.
- Export of data into TXT, HTML, XML or CSV files, as well as its import from other formats.
- Support for custom string fields.
- Support for scripts.
- Search through a database of stored passwords.
- Support for Windows User Accounts.
- Advanced support for high-resolution screens.
To run KeePass Professional, you need to have installed either .NET Framework (it is installed by default on Windows Vista or later versions) or Mono.
There is also a lite version of this program, KeePass Classic. Unlike KeePass Professional, it does not require installing .NET Framework, but at the same time, it has no support for Unicode and scripts, does not work with Windows User Accounts, does not let you create custom string fields and lacks lots of other functions.
Be extra careful when using plug-ins. They are developed by third-party authors and have full access to the KeePass database.
- Added option 'Do not store data in the Windows clipboard history and the cloud clipboard' (the option is turned on by default; for entry clipboard commands in the main window).
- Added option 'Esc keypress in main window' (in 'Tools' → 'Options' → tab 'Interface'), which allows to specify the action of the Esc key (ignore, lock workspace, minimize, minimize to tray, exit).
- Added option 'Ignore search settings of groups' in the 'Find' dialog.
- Internal data viewer: added support for zooming images using the OEM + and - keys with Ctrl.
- Added accelerator keys (especially for labels) in various dialogs.
- Added UIFlags bit for disabling the 'Database Settings' menu item.
- Added workarounds for Windows RTF character encoding bug.
- Added workaround for Mono input focus restoration problem that occurs when a form gets activated.
- Plugins: added method to provide menu items.
- Plugins: added property to get the edit mode of an entry dialog.
- TrlUtil: added tab 'Validation', which shows the results of all checks that TrlUtil performs.
- TrlUtil: the tab in the preview form that contains the currently selected control is now selected automatically.
- TrlUtil: the preview form now shows accelerator keys permanently.
- TrlUtil: enhanced support for derived control classes.
- TrlUtil: the current file name is now displayed in the title bar.
- Enhanced installer (added user directory checks, added option to open the plugins web page, component/option names can be translated now, updated NGen size estimation, improved file associations update, ...).
- In order to avoid selection/Ctrl+A problems, the user name auto-completion now does not append suggestions anymore; it only shows a list of suggestions (in which a suggestion can be selected manually).
- Improved accelerator keys in the 'Find' dialog.
- The history list in the entry dialog now supports showing custom icons.
- Mass entry modifications (colors/icons) now create history entries, if necessary.
- Improved text rendering in dialog banners.
- In the database settings dialog, the path of the database file is now shown in the dialog banner.
- Improved selection/view preservation of the entry view.
- While importing/synchronizing, a status dialog is displayed now if and only if the main window is not constructed completely yet (otherwise the status is displayed in the main window).
- Improved reliability of clipboard operations.
- Improved error reporting for the 'Paste Entries' command.
- Renamed the automatic clipboard clearing option and added a tooltip in order to clarify the behavior of the option.
- The commands 'Find Similar Passwords (Pairs)', 'Find Similar Passwords (Clusters)' and 'Password Quality Report' now ignore TAN entries.
- The report of clusters of similar passwords now shows more clusters in certain cases.
- In the 'Plugins' dialog, the plugins are now sorted alphabetically.
- KeePass does not try to load satellite assemblies as plugins anymore.
- Improved configuration saving when an enforced configuration file exists, but no global one.
- Improved reading of KDBX XML documents with unknown elements.
- The export module 'Customizable HTML File' now works fine on Unix-like systems, too.
- On Unix-like systems: improved support for executing KeePass while no X server is running.
- ShInstUtil: improved NGen detection on 64-bit systems.
- TrlUtil: the preview form does not steal the input focus anymore.
- TrlUtil: improved accelerator key check.
- Various code optimizations.
- Minor other improvements.
- Fixed a bug that caused KeePass to crash when trying to view certain password generator profiles.
- The option 'Use monospace font for passwords' in the 'Print' / HTML export dialog now works for all translations.