Krita is a multifunctional open source tool that serves to create bitmap graphic images. The program is targeted at artists and photographers and due to many tutorials it will suit both professionals and amateurs.
The project offers a huge choice of available options like layers management, brush creation, filters and masks, choosing palettes depending on different color schemes and many more. All this brings the program to the level of the best graphic editors.
The in-built Krita’s tools are compatible with the modern graphic tablets that are comfortable to use due to brush stabilization system. As a result, it’s much more easy to draw straight and free lines now, users should not worry about their shaky hands anymore. The powerful engine for author brush creation is one of the biggest advantages of the editor. It has an impressive number of options, you can set color, form and density of the print. Also, you can download additional packages with brushes and textures from the Internet.
The program’s interface is presented in several color versions. The control elements are arranged in a similar way like in other popular editors that makes learning Krita much easier and allows to focus on the creative side of the working process. Besides that, user can change the working area like he wants removing needless options and leaving the ones that he uses often.
The program supports many graphic file formats including the PSD layout that helps the author to cooperate with other artists with different image editors within a single project.
- Free of charge.
- Supports х86 and х64 processors.
- Supports work with layers.
- Custom brush creation.
- Brush stabilization system.
- Quick pattern creation.
- Supports the PSD format.
- Supports HDR.
- Flexible interface. It’s possible to create your own working area.
- Ready templates of brushes, textures, documents, etc.
The editor has rather high system requirements. Some functions cause big delays on slow computers. In general, the program can easily replace most of the commercial solutions for bitmap graphic editing.
- Fix the sliders in the performance settings page.
- Fix the color space of the onion skin cache.
- Fix transforming layers that have onion skins enabled.
- Also save the preferences when closing the preferences dialog with the titlebar close button.
- Fix a bug in the polygon tool that adds an extra point.
- Save the last used export settings.
- Prevent a crash on macOS when closing a dialog that opened the system color dialog.
- Fix an issue on macOS where the native file dialogs would not return a filename.
- Make it possible to save the “All” tag as the current tag.
- Show the correct blending mode in the brush preset editor.
- Fix saving color profiles that are not sRGB to PNG files.
- Make the transform tool work correctly with the selection mask’s overlay.
- Fix a crash when editing the global selection mask.
- Remove the “Show Decorations” option from the transform tool.
- Remove the CSV export filter (it hasn’t worked for ages).
- Fix slowdown in the Warp transform tool.
- Fix possible data loss when pressing the escape key multiple times.
- Fix a crash when opening an image with a clone layer when instant preview is active.
- Fix a crash when editing vector shapes.
- Fix visibility of Reference Layer and Global Selection Mask in Timeline.
- Fix random crashes when converting image color space.
- Rewrite the “auto precision” option in the brush preset editor.
- Fix legacy convolution filters on images with non-transparent background.
- Fix an assert when force-autosaving the image right during the stroke.
- Fix crash when using Contionous Selection tool with Feather option.
- Fix an issue where temporary files were created in the folder above the current folder.
- Improve the rendering of the transform tool handles while actually making a transformation.
- Use the actual mimetype instead of the extension to identify files when creating thumbnails for the recent files display.
- Improve the logging to detect whether Krita has closed improperly.
- Fix exporting compositions from the compositions docker.
- Fix Color Adjustment Curves not processing.
- Fix artifacts on layers with colorize mask *and* disabled layer styles.
- Make Separate Channels work.
- Make it possible to create vector shapes on images that are bigger than QImage’s limits.
- Disable adjustmentlayer support on the raindrop filter.
- Make it possible to use .kra files as file layers.
- Fix Crop tool loosing aspect ratio on move.
- Fix Rec2020 display format.
- Improve error messages when loading and saving fails.
- Fix jumping of vector shapes when resizing them.
- Add hi-res input events for pan, zoom and rotate.
- Fix crash when using Pencil Tool with a tablet.
- Always ask Windows to synchronize the file systems after saving a file from Krita.
- Fix wrong aspect ratio on loading SVG files.