Microsoft ActiveSync, the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile-based devices, provides a great synchronization experience with Windows-based computers and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box. In addition to synchronizing with a desktop PC, ActiveSync can synchronize directly with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 so that you can keep your e-mail, calendar data, tasks and contact information updated wirelessly when you're away from your PC.
Microsoft ActiveSync acts as the gateway between your Windows-based PC and Windows Mobile-based device, enabling the transfer of Outlook information, Office documents, pictures, music, videos and applications to and from your device.
- Synchronization with Microsoft Outlook.
- Manual transfer of files to a mobile device.
- Backup/restore functionality.
- Ability to install and uninstall mobile device applications.
- Synchronization Internet "favorites", files, and tasks, amongst other data types.
- Faster file transfer speed and photo sync via Outlook are only available for Windows Mobile 5.0 powered devices.
- Remote PC Sync (via WiFi or LAN) has been removed due to Enterprise customer feedback around security issues.
- Customers using Microsoft Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 with devices running the Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0 will benefit from the following feature enhancements included in ActiveSync 4.5: Direct Push Technology, local device wipe, and certificate powered authentication to Microsoft Exchange.
- Microsoft® Outlook® 2000 is not supported by ActiveSync 4.5. It is highly recommended that users upgrade to Microsoft® Outlook® 2003 messaging and collaboration client.
- Conversion of database files for use on a mobile device is not supported by ActiveSync 4.5. On previous versions, this feature was limited to devices running Windows Mobile software for Pocket PC 2003 and earlier.
- Conversion of font files for use on a mobile device is not supported by ActiveSync 4.5. On previous versions, this feature was limited to devices running Windows Mobile software for Pocket PC 2003 and earlier.