Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free antivirus software created by Microsoft that provides protection against viruses, spyware, adware, rootkits, worms and trojans. Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want - without interruptions or long computer wait times.
MSE is a security suite designed for consumers and lacks centralized management features which are found in Microsoft Forefront Client Security. It includes the same anti-malware engine, and virus definitions that all other Microsoft desktop antimalware products share, including Forefront Client Security, Windows Live OneCare, and Windows Defender. Before installation, MSE checks for the validity of the installed copy of Microsoft Windows. MSE requires no registration or personal information.
- Using default settings, archived files are decompressed, and then scanned.
- File downloads and e-mail attachments are also scanned.
- Dynamic Signature Service attempts to better identify malicious files by checking for updates if an application exhibits suspicious behavior.
- System Restore points are created before removing found malware.
- MSE automatically checks for and downloads virus definition updates which are published three times a day to Microsoft Update.
- No data.