SeaMonkey is a free and open source Internet suite. It is the continuation of the former Mozilla Application Suite, based on the same source code. SeaMonkey consists of a web browser (SeaMonkey Navigator), an e-mail and news client program (SeaMonkey Mail & Newsgroups), an HTML editor (SeaMonkey Composer) and an IRC client (ChatZilla). The software suite supports skins. It comes with two skins in the default installation, Modern and Classic.
Features of SeaMonkey:
- Tabbed browsing gives you a better way to surf the net. You no longer have to open one page at a time. With tabbed browsing, open several pages at once with one click. Plus, your homepage can be multiple pages, in tabs.
- Popup blocker lets you surf the web without interruption from annoying ads.
- Image Manager lets you block images to remove offensive images or speed up the rendering of web sites.
- Find as you type gives you another way to navigate a page. Just start typing to jump from link to link or to find a word or phrase within a page.
- Plus all the features a modern browser should have including: Advanced security settings; Password, Download, and Cookie managers; Themes; multi-language and multi-platform support; and, the latest in Web Standards.
Changes in recent version
- The LaTex tool TexZilla, used for inserting Math, has been upgraded to 1.0.2.
- It is now possible to customize the toolbars in Composer and the formatting toolbar in Mailnews composition.
- All folders of an account can now be marked as read.
- There is now an option for not advertizing SeaMonkey at all in the user agent.
- The preference for hiding the toolbar and menubar grippies can now be changed from "Preferences->Appearance".
- The tab bar is now shown by default when only one tab is open bug 1634879. This change was needed as new users did not see either the tab bar or its "Open a new tab" button on a fresh installation. Existing users of the option "Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open" will need to make a one time only change in "Preferences->Browser->Tabbed Browsing" if they want to go back to the old setting.
- Update of help page content and links.
- SeaMonkey language packs are now version specific and will be disabled as part of the profile upgrade following the installation of a later version.
- Search Engines have been centralized and updated in bug 1300198.
- Address book now has updated IM fields, improved layout for card view pane, improved multi-word search, ability to search across multiple address books, more granular prompts when deleting items, print on the context menus and print button on the toolbar.
- Multimedia support has been updated in preparation of supporting more audio video formats in the next releases. For enhanced security the Rust multimedia parser is now used for this and the libstagefright package has been removed.