Unity 3D is a cross-platform game engine with a built-in IDE. It is used to develop video games for web plugins, desktop platforms, consoles and mobile devices, and is utilized by over one million developers. It currently supports development for iOS, Android, Windows, Blackberry 10, OS X, Linux, web browsers, Flash, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows Phone 8, and Wii U.
The graphics engine uses Direct3D, OpenGL, OpenGL ES, and proprietary APIs. There is support for bump mapping, reflection mapping, parallax mapping, screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO), dynamic shadows using shadow maps, render-to-texture and full-screen post-processing effects.
Features of Unity 3D:
- Shuriken particle system supports external forces, bent normals and automatic culling.
- 3D texture support.
- Navigation: dynamic obstacles and avoidance priority.
- Major optimizations in UnityGUI performance and memory usage.
- Dynamic fonts on all platforms with HTML-like markup.
- Remote Unity Web Player debugging.
- New Project Window workflows.
- Iterative lightmap baking.
- Refined component-based workflows.
- Extensible inspectors for custom classes.
- Improved Cubemap import pipeline.
- Geometry data improvements for huge memory and performance savings.
- Meshes can be constructed from non-triangle geometry—render points & lines efficiently.
- Search, live preview and buy Asset Store assets from the Project Window.
Changes in recent version
- Ads: [Android] Unity Ad return app to Lock screen (1281041)
- AI: Crash with ComputeTileMeshJob when generating Navmesh (1329346)
- Asset Import Pipeline: Editor crashes while exiting play mode (1328667)
- Asset Importers: [MacOS] Second Unity instance in Activity Monitor is "not responding” after importing (1331736)
- Audio: Crash on AudioMixer_CUSTOM_FindSnapshot when passing null as an argument to FindSnapshot() (1341752)
- Global Illumination: Crash while sculpting Terrain and Baking Lightmaps (1266511)
- Global Illumination: [LightProbes] Probes lose their lighting data after entering Play mode when Baked and Realtime GI are enabled (1052045)
- Graphics Device Backends: CommandBuffer native plugin events hang in the Editor (1308216)
- IMGUI: Editor's Toolbar is sometimes replaced by a white bar when opening any Scene (1341951)
- Input: Touch Input doesn't work in Play Mode when running an Editor on a Touchscreen device (1341159)
- Linux: Editor crashes at 'GfxFramebufferGLES::SetBackBufferColorDepthSurface' or freezes when creating a new shortcut profile (1334874)
- Linux: Linux Editor crashes at "_XFreeX11XCBStructure" when loading tutorials (1323204)
- Metal: Performance in Game View is significantly impacted by Gfx.WaitForPresentOnGfxThread when a second monitor is connected (1327408)
- Mobile: [Android] App stops due to OnPixelCopyFinishedListener not being supported on devices with lower than 24 SDK (1331290)
- Mobile Graphics: [iOS] Player crashing when connecting external Display via USB-C port (1321153)
- Packman: User can't easily configure location of both UPM and Asset Store package local cache (1317232)
- Quality of Life: Crash in SerializedProperty::IsValid when reordering a SerializedProperty list (1320319)
- Scene Management: Crash on BuildPrefabInstanceCorrespondingObjectMap when overriding nested prefab inside AssetDatabase.StartAssetEditing() block (1324978)
- Scripting: Crashes on mono_class_init when entering Play Mode after recompiling scripts (1262671)
- Scripting: DomainReloadTests performance tests have regressed due to removal of built-in support for Visual Studio as a code editor (1336648)
- Scripting: Increased Script Assembly reload time (1323490)
- Terrain: Terrain Lit Opacity as Density option causes alpha'd areas on the 5th layer or greater to appear with artifacts (1283124)
- Video: Video player fails to start playing and null handle errors are thrown when running Unity Editor/Build with specific hardware (1237818)
- Vulkan: Linux Editor using Vulkan crashes at " GfxDeviceVK::EnsureValidBackbuffer" when showing tooltips for ProBuilder buttons (1335846)
- Windows: Editor crashes when exiting and keeping a tutorial project (1338299)