VeraCrypt is a powerful freeware utility for encrypting files, folders and entire drives on your PC. VeraCrypt is a fork of the discontinued TrueCrypt software.
Unlike its predecessor, VeraCrypt has had its encryption algorithm changed from RIPEMD-160 to SHA-512 and SHA-256; the number of iterations for generating the key has been increased; certain issues detected in the TrueCrypt source code have been fixed. However, VeraCrypt remains compatible with TrueCrypt and has some tools for converting TrueCrypt volumes into the VeraCrypt format.
Key features of VeraCrypt:
- Ability to create encrypted volumes with data.
- Ability to hide encrypted volumes.
- Use of reliable encryption algorithms, such as Twofish, Serpent and AES.
- Combinations of supported algorithms — Serpent-AES, AES-Twofish-Serpent, AES-Twofish, Twofish-Serpent and Serpent-Twofish-AES.
- Cryptographic hash functions SHA-256, SHA-512, Whirlpool.
- Step-by-step wizard for managing volumes.
- Completely free, open-source software.
- MBR Bootloader: Fix failure to boot hidden OS on some machines.
- MBR Bootloader: Reduce CPU usage during password prompt.
- Security enhancement: Add option to block TRIM command for system encryption on SSD drives.
- Implement TRIM support for non-system SSD drives and add option to enable it (TRIM is disabled by default for non-system volumes).
- Better fix for "Parameter Incorrect" issues during EFI system encryption in some machines.
- Driver: remove unnecessary dependency to wcsstr which can cause issues on some machines.
- Driver: Fix "Incorrect Parameter" error when mounting volumes on some machines.
- Fix failure to mount system favorites during boot on some machines.
- Fix current application losing focus when VeraCrypt is run in command line with /quit /silent switches.
- Fix some cases of external applications freezing during mount/dismount.
- Fix rare cases of secure desktop for password dialog not visible which caused UI to block.
- Update libzip to version 1.5.0 that include fixes for some security issues.
- Extend Secure Desktop feature to smart card PIN entry dialog
- Fix truncated license text in installer wizard.
- Add portable package that allows extracting binaries without asking for admin privileges.
- Simplify format of language XML files.
- Workaround for cases where password dialog doesn't get keyboard focus if Secure Desktop is not enabled.