VeraCrypt is a powerful freeware utility for encrypting files, folders and entire drives on your PC. VeraCrypt is a fork of the discontinued TrueCrypt software.
Unlike its predecessor, VeraCrypt has had its encryption algorithm changed from RIPEMD-160 to SHA-512 and SHA-256; the number of iterations for generating the key has been increased; certain issues detected in the TrueCrypt source code have been fixed. However, VeraCrypt remains compatible with TrueCrypt and has some tools for converting TrueCrypt volumes into the VeraCrypt format.
- Ability to create encrypted volumes with data.
- Ability to hide encrypted volumes.
- Use of reliable encryption algorithms, such as Twofish, Serpent and AES.
- Combinations of supported algorithms — Serpent-AES, AES-Twofish-Serpent, AES-Twofish, Twofish-Serpent and Serpent-Twofish-AES.
- Cryptographic hash functions SHA-256, SHA-512, Whirlpool.
- Step-by-step wizard for managing volumes.
- Completely free, open-source software.