VeraCrypt is a powerful freeware utility for encrypting files, folders and entire drives on your PC. VeraCrypt is a fork of the discontinued TrueCrypt software.
Unlike its predecessor, VeraCrypt has had its encryption algorithm changed from RIPEMD-160 to SHA-512 and SHA-256; the number of iterations for generating the key has been increased; certain issues detected in the TrueCrypt source code have been fixed. However, VeraCrypt remains compatible with TrueCrypt and has some tools for converting TrueCrypt volumes into the VeraCrypt format.
Key features of VeraCrypt:
- Ability to create encrypted volumes with data.
- Ability to hide encrypted volumes.
- Use of reliable encryption algorithms, such as Twofish, Serpent and AES.
- Combinations of supported algorithms — Serpent-AES, AES-Twofish-Serpent, AES-Twofish, Twofish-Serpent and Serpent-Twofish-AES.
- Cryptographic hash functions SHA-256, SHA-512, Whirlpool.
- Step-by-step wizard for managing volumes.
- Completely free, open-source software.
Changes in recent version
- Don't allow Hidden volume to have the same password, PIM and keyfiles as Outer volume
- Enable FIPS mode in JitterEntropy random generator.
- Update Beginner's Tutorial.
- Support password drag-n-drop from external applications (e.g. KeePass) to password UI fields which is more secure than using clipboard.
- Implements compatibility with Windows 10 Modern Standby and Windows 8.1 Connected Standby power model.
- Avoid displaying waiting dialog when /silent specified for "VeraCrypt Format" during creating of file container using /create switch and a filesystem other than FAT.
- Use native Windows format program to perform formatting of volume since it is more reliable and only fallback to FormatEx function from fmifs.dll in case of issue.
- Don't use API for Processor Groups support if there is only 1 CPU group in the system. This can fix slowness issue observed on some PCs with AMD CPUs.
- Don't allow to encrypt the system drive if it is already encrypted by BitLocker.
- Implement detection of Hibernate and Fast Startup and disable them if RAM encryption is activated.
- Warn about Fast Startup if it is enabled during VeraCrypt installation/upgrade, when starting system encryption or when creating a volume, and propose to disable it.
- Add UI options to control the behavior of automatic bootloader fixing when System Encryption used.
- Don't allow a directory path to be entered for the file container to be created in Format wizard.
- Add warning message when typed password reaches maximum length during the system encryption wizard.
- Update libzip to latest version 1.7.3.
- Update translations.
- Some bugs fixed and minor improvements added.