VeraCrypt is a powerful freeware utility for encrypting files, folders and entire drives on your PC. VeraCrypt is a fork of the discontinued TrueCrypt software.
Unlike its predecessor, VeraCrypt has had its encryption algorithm changed from RIPEMD-160 to SHA-512 and SHA-256; the number of iterations for generating the key has been increased; certain issues detected in the TrueCrypt source code have been fixed. However, VeraCrypt remains compatible with TrueCrypt and has some tools for converting TrueCrypt volumes into the VeraCrypt format.
Key features of VeraCrypt:
- Ability to create encrypted volumes with data.
- Ability to hide encrypted volumes.
- Use of reliable encryption algorithms, such as Twofish, Serpent and AES.
- Combinations of supported algorithms — Serpent-AES, AES-Twofish-Serpent, AES-Twofish, Twofish-Serpent and Serpent-Twofish-AES.
- Cryptographic hash functions SHA-256, SHA-512, Whirlpool.
- Step-by-step wizard for managing volumes.
- Completely free, open-source software.
- VeraCrypt is now compatible with default EFI SecureBoot configuration for system encryption.
- Fix EFI system encryption issues on some machines (e.g. HP, Acer).
- Support EFI system encryption on Windows LTSB.
- Add compatibility of system encryption with Windows 10 upgrade using ReflectDrivers mechanism.
- Make EFI Rescue Disk decrypt partition correctly when Windows Repair overwrites first partition sector.
- Add Driver option in the UI to explicitly allow Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 defragmenter to see VeraCrypt encrypted disks.
- Add internal verification of binaries embedded signature to protect against some types to tampering attacks.
- Fix Secure Desktop not working for favorites set to mount at logon on Windows 10 under some circumstances.
- when Secure Desktop is enabled, use it for Mount Options dialog if it is displayed before password dialog.
- when extracting files in Setup or Portable mode, decompress zip files docs.zip and Languages.zip in order to have ready to use configuration.
- Display a balloon tip warning message when text pasted to password field is longer than maximum length and so it will be truncated.
- Implement language selection mechanism at the start of the installer to make easier for international users.
- Add check on size of file container during creation to ensure it's smaller than available free disk space.
- Fix buttons at the bottom not shown when user sets a large system font under Window 7.
- Fix compatibility issues with some disk drivers that don't support .IOCTL_DISK_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY_EX ioctl.