VirtualBox (Oracle VM VirtualBox) is a general-purpose full virtualizer for hardware. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, Oracle VM VirtualBox is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
VirtualBox is installed on an existing host operating system; within this application, additional guest operating systems, each known as a Guest OS, can be loaded and run, each with its own virtual environment. Supported guest operating systems include versions and derivations of Windows, Linux, BSD, OS/2, Solaris, Mac OS X and others.
Features of VirtualBox:
- 64-bit guests (64-bit hosts with CPU virtualization extensions).
- NCQ support for SATA, SCSI and SAS raw disks and partitions.
- Snapshots, Seamless mode, Clipboard, Shared folders.
- Special drivers and utilities to facilitate switching between systems.
- Command line interaction (in addition to the GUI).
- Public API (Java, Python, SOAP, XPCOM) to control VM configuration and execution.
- Nested paging for AMD-V and Intel VT.
- Raw hard disk access - allows physical hard disk partitions on the host system to appear in the guest system.
- VMware Virtual Machine Disk (VMDK) format support - allows VirtualBox to exchange disk images with VMware.
- Microsoft VHD support
- 3D virtualization.
- SMP support (up to 32 virtual CPUs).
Changes in recent version
- VMM: Fixed extremely poor VM performance depending on the timing of various actions
- VMM: Fixed guest OS hanging under certain circumstances when Hyper-V is present
- VMM: Fixed Guru Meditation error when using a nested hypervisor under certain circumstances
- VMM: Fixed a SMAP related host panic affecting Solaris 11.4 systems with Intel Haswell CPUs or later
- OCI: Add cloud-init support for export to OCI and for OCI instance creation
- GUI: Fixed "Delete all files" leaving behind Logs/VBoxUI.log
- Audio: Multiple fixes and enhancements
- Audio: Fixed detection of duplex audio devices on macOS
- Network: Fixed link status reporting for "not attached" adapters
- Network: Fixed connectivity issues with e1000 in OS/2 guests
- Network: Fixed VxWorks e1000 driver compatibility issue
- Network: Fixed GUI checks for port forwarding rules rejecting IPv6 with "Nat Network"
- DHCP: Don't crash in the presence of fixed address assignments
- Serial: Fixed possible VM hang when using the a serial port in disconnected mode
- Webcam: Fixed interoperability with v4l2loopback and fixed a crash under certain circumstances
- NVMe: Fixed sporadic Windows VM hang or reboot on high CPU load
- VBoxManage: Allow changing network adapter attachment of a saved VM with "modifyvm"
- vboximg-mount: Fix for argument processing to honor the '--root' option
- Linux host and guest: Support kernel versions 5.11 and 5.12
- Linux host: Maximum MTU size increased to 16110 for host-only adapters on Linux kernels 4.10+
- Linux Guest Additions: Fix vboxvideo module compilation for kernel version 5.10.x
- Linux Guest Additions: Fixed kernel module build for RHEL 8.4 beta and CentOS Stream