x264 Video Codec is a free software library for working with video streams encoded in the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format often used in HDTV. With its excellent quality, high processing speed and fair video compression ratio this codec is way ahead of its alternatives offered by distinguished vendors.
As of today, x264 Video Codec is one of the most enhanced AVC codecs out of those available for free. This tool can be easily launched from command line; it offers certain settings and comes with a number of presets.
- Context-adaptive binary arithmetic coding.
- Context-adaptive variable-length coding.
- Multiple reference frames.
- Optimization of rate-distortion ratio.
- Multiple bit rate management modes.
- Constant quantizer, constant quality, single or multipass ABR with optional VBV.
- Scene change detector.
- Adaptive B-frame placement with an ability to use B-frames as references.
- 8×8 and 4×4 Adaptive Block-size Transforms.
- Lossless compression mode.
- Parallel encoding on multiple CPUs.
- Support for interlaced frames.